Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Foundation Paper Piecing Quilts

I've recently started learning how to use foundation paper piecing to make quilt blocks. I can see why it would be really helpful for making some kinds of blocks, very complex ones, or ones with very tiny pieces especially. However, I think I still enjoy traditional piecing. I haven't done a ton yet, so maybe more experience with the technique will change my mind, but I don't think so. When I started traditional quilting and piecing, I fell in love with it right away. That didn't happen with foundation piecing.



I did a few tries on my own with only online tutorials for help and they had some problems. In some cases, I didn't use big enough scraps so I didn't have enough seam allowances. Also I had problems with my stitching getting torn out when I tore the paper off the back.

Then I followed the instructions from Sue Garman for the 2009 Block of the Month Project over at The Quilt Show, and I did a lot better. This little house is made from her tutorial that she recommended before beginning the bigger, more complex feathered star block. The best advice was to use a super-short stitch length. My stitching didn't tear out when I tore the paper off at the end, and that makes a big difference.

No comments: