Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How the whole focus thing is going. . .

Well, I've taken a few baby steps in the right direction toward getting myself more organized and focused - and so far without giving up any of the things that I love.

How did I do it, I hear you ask. Well, I took a bit of advice from those books I mentioned before, as well as one I read awhile ago called, "Refuse to Choose" (I added it to the recommended reading list if you want a link) It's basically about a certain personality type that the author calls a "scanner", or a person who loves a variety of topics and activity and has an unusually difficult time focusing or picking one single life path, career, goal, etc. It's me 100%. I really loved it when I read it because it stressed that I didn't need to give up anything or "pick something" to do with my life in order to be successful - pretty much the opposite of what is implied in the other books I mentioned, and in my previous entry. However, it does say that keeping organized is important to success for a scanner. Now, I only ever implemented a few of the tools she suggested to help me fit the things I LOVE to do into my life around the things I WANT to do, but I'm trying to get back to that.

What I've done in the past several days is to plan my day a little ahead of time, and not try to do it all every day ( so I can focus on each thing I want to accomplish - see it all coming together here?) Yesterday I ran errands in the morning and in the evening I worked on items for my Karabu Etsy shop. Today I'm cleaning house and tonight I'll write. Granted, my Etsy projects aren't finished yet, my house could always use more cleaning, and there are other projects I haven't gotten to yet, but I have to say, I've made more progress on each of these areas than if I'd gone about things in my normal fashion of fluttering around trying to do five things at once. We even spent several hours at a playdate with my daughter's friends and I did a little craft project with my kiddo too today!

So far I feel really good about this, and since my extended maternity leave ends next week I'll really need to have a time management system in place in order to work, have time with my family and accomplish my other goals as well. I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

2 comments:

Alpaca Granny said...

Thanks for the info. Looking back over my life, I have been a "scanner" but that's not all bad. Has been a fun 65 years and actually, I'm not ready to focus and settle on one passion.

JULIE ♥ ADORE said...

http://julieadoreart.blogspot.com/2007/06/soldes-dans-ma-boutique.html