Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

On the Subject of Eggs

My cockatiel laid 5 eggs. They are super cute little things, but still, I hope she stops soon. She is not a young bird, and she will have nothing to do with the new cuttle bone we bought for her, so I'm concerned for her health.

The kiddos are bummed that we will not actually be expecting five baby cockatiels. We had an official 'birds and the bees' talk about it. Well, the bird part anyway. That, and a nice, illustrated book from the library that showed how chicken babies get inside chicken eggs has given my kids a nice grasp of avian reproduction.

While hard boiling our Easter eggs, I tried to hard boil the cockatiel eggs at the same time to preserve them. Three of the five cracked open. The shells were much thinner than chicken eggs, and I may have chalked the problem up to the thin shells alone, except that several of the chicken eggs also cracked open.

Now I'm no whiz chef, but making hard boiled eggs is about as complicated as boiling water. Yet I messed up a bunch of eggs. Anyone have thoughts on what I may have done wrong?

Again, my camera is not behaving well enough to get a good shot of the little eggs, so instead, here is an amazing shot my husband took of our cockatiel, Daisy:

1 comment:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I've never hard boiled such small eggs. We fried a cockatiel egg once though, but that doesn't help. LOL

Did you do a hot or cold water start? I always start with cold water, then, as soon as it boils, take the pot off the heat and cover it for 15 to 18 minutes. Then, rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking.

None of my eggs broke this year. It was amazing. Usually a few break. No idea why they do or don't. They weren't all from the same farm either. I had cartons from two separate places.

Love the Daisy picture! :)