Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Reviewing and Redirecting

I have so many business topics swimming around in my head that I want to discuss it's hard to know where to begin. Maybe it's an end of the year thing. A time to look back on how this year has gone, and to begin thinking about where I want to go in the future. Making changes is uncomfortable for me (and I don't think I'm alone here.) It's so much easier to just keep doing what I'm used to doing. But I'm old enough now to realise that when things aren't going the way I want them to after a time and my best effort, it's time to make changes. One of my greatest mistakes in the past, I believe, is that I tend to lose sight of the goal and get caught up or distracted by the path. I'm a creature of habit, and change has to be a thought out effort for me.
It's strange, actually. This year has gone well for me. My Etsy business has donebetter than I ever originally hoped for. My children are thriving. We're moving forward, if slowly, tword our goals. And yet, there are problems that can't be overlooked. Years ago, I never would have made changes to what I thought was a sucessful year. This is where I've grown. Now I see that while, by many standards, I'm having some successes, even this won't bring me to my ultimate goals, and that's what matters. Maybe the little successes has given me the courage to make changes where I need them. It has become easier to keep the big picture in sight.

I'm working on a business plan, and will write more details about that as I go. I think it's a good tool for any business. I probably should have made one from the beginning, but I had more of a hobbist attitude when I began. If you're wanting to get more serious with your business, and don't know how to start - a business plan is a must. It isn't a little project - it's huge, and it's hard, but it's also important. I'll provide some better information on how to write one in a comming entry.

1 comment:

Over The Top Aprons said...

I wish you continued success and looking forward to you business plan. I too have the attitude of a "hobby" but in turn putting too much time, energy, and money into the "hobby". Maybe you will inspire me to to get a bit more serious for the new year.

I always appreciate your stopping by my blog and your comments. Thanks