Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

My Meditation Zafu

I found instructions for how to make a zafu (isn't that a great sounding word?) years ago, but just got my rear in gear and made one a couple weeks back. A zafu is one of those pretty round cushions that are for sitting on while you meditate. I'd read that they are traditionally stuffed with buckwheat hulls, and since I like the idea of being traditional when it comes to things like this, I gave myself the excuse not to actually make the zafu since I didn't have the foggiest idea where one gets buckwheat hulls, but a quick internet search told me they were expensive to ship, so I didn't want to do that.

Enter, my small cat with a personality disorder, Sheeba. She took it upon herself to ruin my sister's buckwheat hull pillow. I needed to fix it, and since you can't exactly throw a buckwheat hull pillowing into the wash, I needed to throw out the stuffing, clean the pillow, and get new stuffing. Now I had a real reason to place that order, and adding some extra hulls to the order helped with the per pound shipping cost so I didn't have to feel so guilty about the purchase.

So at last, I have my meditation cushion. Isn't it pretty?



My youngest wanted to take it for her own, so I told her it was for sitting on to be calm, and I needed it. Every once in awhile I see her sitting on it and she tells me she's "calming down". Maybe I should make more and sell them as toddler "calming cushions" for people who don't like the term "time out."

5 comments:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

It's so pretty! :)

btw~ My niece, Jasmine, saw it and thinks you're among the coolest. :)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hey, Stylish blogger, I left an award at my blog for you! :)

Nissa Annakindt said...

It's so pretty (in spite of being so pink)!

I'd make one myself but one of my cats would just have kittens on it (I live on a farm and my barn cats keep trying to become house cats...)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I love that it's pink. But I think that's because when I was a kid my older sister loved pink and she got to pick everything first, so she got the pink one of everything and I got "the other color." So, now I love to get the pink things. LOL

So, Kara, do your cats take over your Zafu? (That word always makes me think of the Veggie Tales "Sabu" song.)

Kara Hartz said...

No, my cats are not allowed near it. They would ruin it. I keep in in the bedroom away from them.