Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Authors at the California State Fair


I paid more attention to the California Authors display at our visit to the State Fair this year. I even bought some books. One was a very cute children's book about sharing. It's called Bears on Chairs by Shirley Parenteau and illistrated by David Walker. It has so much rhyme and repetition, that it started to become quite a tongue twister if I read too fast. My kiddo has requested several more readings since we brought it home, so that makes it a winner to me.


Shop Indie Bookstores
karabu

The other I haven't let myself start reading yet since I have way too many books started right now, but if the Prologue is anything to go by (I had a quick read while we ate lunch at the fair) then it is going to be an exciting read. It's called Emerald by M.L. Hamilton




Both authors were very pleasant to talk to and wrote nice, personal things in the books that they signed for me. That's a whole other skill set that I suppose authors should work on nowadays.

What I didn't ask either of the women I spoke to, and have wondered about since, is how one gets a spot at the Authors table at the State Fair. A simple Google search didn't turn up anything, but I've sent out an email, and will report in when I know anything. From what I've found so far, it appears that the organizer is very self-publishing/ independent publishing friendly.

Here is a list of all the authors that participated in the event.

1 comment:

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Gee, I never thought of taking Syzygy to the fair! :D

Pigs, flowers, and big pumpkins- yeah. But a novel??? Hmm, whatta ya know!