Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Microchips for Pets Work


This pretty girl joined me on my jog a couple nights ago. I'd just passed her and a man who was petting her in his front lawn. I shooed her back to him and kept running. As I crossed the street, she was running with me again. I stopped to shoo her more firmly back to her person, but he was gone. I walked back (and she came with me) and found him on his porch. It wasn't his dog. She had come up to him and he had been looking for a collar and tags when I ran by and she decided it would be fun to come along with me. 

So I took her home, stopping to ask other folks who were out walking if they knew her. No one did.
I work as an RVT (Registered Veterinary Technician) by day, so the next morning she came into work with me to check for a microchip. She had one, and I was on the phone with her person a few minutes later arranging how to get her home again. They didn't want to wait until I came back to our neighborhood after work - they came out to get her.

Microchips work. Dogs are onery sometimes. They run off in a happy friendly frenzy, then find themselves lost. It doesn't mean they have horrible families. In fact, this doggie's family was out looking for her last night as I was looking for them. They said they met some of the people I stopped as I was walking home, and were told I was looking for them. We met the same people but never managed to meet each other as we searched for one another. 

Thanks to the chip though, she was home less than 24 hours later. Yea!

No comments: