Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

In a Funk

It happens sometimes, right?
I'm feeling overwhelmed - with things that need doing, with problems that need solving, and that sort of thing. I'm also breaking my rule about avoiding news. It feels irresponsible to do so at the moment. Not only do I feel the need to pay attention, but to contact my representatives and tell my thoughts about it all. That's what good citizens do, right? It's stressful. There are people who enjoy this sort of thing. Nutty.

Looking at my calendar is depressing too. Well, everything we're doing is great, but there's just so much of it. Over scheduled. Overwhelmed.

So I'm not really writing much. Or sewing. Or feeling creative in any way.

I'm also having a lot of dreams. Science tells us that we're always having lots of dreams, so it would be more accurate to say I'm remembering my dreams more. Upsetting dreams. At least, upsetting in the moment. My dreams have always been weird. I've had friends tell me their dreams and they sound like normal days. I dream things like - Elvis and Kermit the Frog show up in my living room to give me advice on how to get the carolers off my lawn in the middle of the summer. (They thought I should turn the sprinklers on them). So if I try to explain my dreams to other people they sound silly. Yet in the dream, there is often intense emotion or an air of menace that is unsettling, and un-restful. Some of you will know what I'm talking about. Then that unsettled, un-rested feeling clings to me the rest of the day.

It all leaves me tired, and in no mood to create.

Then there's guilt because I'm not making progress on the quilt, or the novel, or the Friday Flash Fiction stories. That doesn't help settle me down. Plus, the creating is such a part of me - a satisfying essential part of me, I don't like the way I feel without it. Time to go into hermit mode for awhile and get my groove back.

No comments: