Pages

Monday, March 6, 2017

Couch to 5K Time Again.

I started up the Couch to 5K running program yet again. This time I'm starting nowhere near NaNoWriMo! Not that it matters.

It was both harder, and not as bad as I thought it might be to get started again. So far, after the first two runs, I am much more winded after the running segments than I thought I'd be. On day 1, the minute of running felt so long. Too long. But today, only the second run, the minute was very do-able. Still I was breathing hard after even that short bit of running. All I can do is keep going, and trust that I'll get better. If I need to, I'll do each week twice, but I'll keep going.

I maybe started a little too soon after being sick, as I've fallen into bad coughing attacks at the end of the runs, although today wasn't as bad as last Thursday. One has to start somewhere though.


The part that was better than I'd hoped was my pace. That's something that has improved very slowly, over many circuits through this running program. I always think that when I start the program over, I'll have to start as slow as I did the previous time, but that's something that seems to carry forward for me even through periods of not running. Unless this app isn't accurate, which is possible, I don't think I've ever managed a 10:28 pace so early in the program. I suspect as I do longer running intervals that will slow down since it will be harder to maintain lover longer periods. I remember, not all that long ago, thinking how if I could only get up to 12 min/mile, I would feel like I was doing well. 

I guess that's part of the fun of this process. It's always a little different, but I always get better. 

No comments: