Pages

Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Christmas Amigurumi: Ashoka Tano and a Blue Minecraft Sheep

Ashoka Tand and Blue Minecraft Sheep Amigurumi crocheted and photographed  by Kara Hartz
Every year, I crochet a gift for my girls. Traditionally, it has been a pokemon. This year my oldest daughter had been obsessed with Star Wars (she makes her mother proud), and the younger is all about Minecraft (another amazing kid - how did I get so lucky!?). So I decided to try to make something to match their current passions. 

I made the sheep first, and am not super happy how it turned out. If you look at the pattern, it was supposed to use something called 'iris' yarn and a 0.9 mm crochet hook. That hook is so small it's difficult to see, and I'd never heard of iris yarn before, but from the picture I'd say it could probably also be called 'thread'. So I wimped out in tacking something so tiny, and I just made the sheep with plain ole Red Heart yarn and a G hook knowing it may not turn out right,. I knew that was a risk I was taking. The kiddo says she loves it, so I guess I'll be happy with that even though it isn't quite as blocky as I wanted it to be. I'm half tempted to try the thread version - but not yet. Must rest the hands from the marathon crochet session getting ready for Christmas.

The Ashoka Tano pattern is actually what gave me the idea to make something different this year. I don't remember what I was looking for at the time, but when I stumbled upon the picture of a crocheted Ashoka, I knew I had to make it. She is one of my daughter's very favorite characters, and she is now rewatching the Cone Wars series with me to bring me up to speed about Ashoka so I can read the recent book featuring her. One of the cool parts of this doll is the wire inside her limbs and lightsaber that make her pose-able. Plus, she looks fairly complicated, but I found that she made up fairly easily and quickly. The most important thing though - the kiddo loves her. I've seen her holding her off and on over the past few days since Christmas. That's what a maker wants to see. Yea!

No comments: