Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Getting Back in Shape - Abs Edition

The pounds have flown back on since my ileostomy reversal. Some of that I expected - the weight I lost from being very, very sick for example. That was not healthy weight loss and I didn't expect it to stick. But then, I admit, I let the holidays carry me along their happy cookie filled journey without a struggle. That's showing up now in clothes that are a little snug, and a heavy sleepiness that hits me in the afternoons the way it hasn't in a long time.

So it would be time for me to get back on my healthy eating, regular exercise bandwagon even if it wan't the time of year for that sort of thing. I've been at it a few days now, and am already feeling better. The snug clothing part will take a little longer.

One struggle has been abdominal exercises. I've never had 'abs of steel', or even abs of anything remotely tough. Since the reversal though, any abdominal exercises I try hurt the scars (mainly the huge one where the actual stoma was, but even a little at the colon incision site). If you have an ab exercise you love, this is the place to share it. I'd love to try out some new exercises since I'm just not up for crunches yet.

A friend posted a workout video on Facebook that included a couple ab moves that were merely uncomfortable, not painful, so that's what I'm doing for now, but I'd love to see what else is out there.

Happy New Year all - here's to a healthy and happy 2017!

No comments: